Wednesday, June 12, 2013

soft pretzel tots


How do you watch a basketball game?

I like to make some snacks beforehand, then chit-chat and eat through the entire thing.

My husband likes to stare intently at the TV, scream at no one, and rewind every single play at least twice, making the game last approximately 279716372643 hours.

These little pretzel tots are for my people. They are salty and crisp on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside... just delightful. Dipping them in yellow ballpark mustard is a must. They're so yummy they have been proven to distract even the most crazy passionate of sports watchers. Not mentioning any names.

Soft Pretzel Tots (slightly adapted from A Cozy Kitchen)

you'll need:
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 standard packet)
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 oz. unsalted butter, melted
cooking spray
10 cups water
2/3 baking soda
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
sea salt, for sprinkling

In a large bowl, combine water, sugar, and salt. Sprinkle the yeast on top and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes, until yeast is active and foamy. Add flour and butter and mix until combined. Using your hands, knead dough in the bowl until it's smooth like pizza dough, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl, the spray the inside of it with nonstick cooking spray. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place it in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and spray very well with cooking spray. Then spray a little more. You should be good now.

Bring the water and baking soda to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, turn the dough out onto a  work surface and divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll out each of the 4 pieces into a long rope, about 20 inches. Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place it onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.

Place the dough balls into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove from the water using a spatula and return to the baking sheet. Once all the pieces have been boiled and returned to the sheet, brush the top of each one with the egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt.

Bake in oven for 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for at least 5 minutes. Serve with ballpark mustard, honey, or whatever else you like - get creative!

Follow on Bloglovin

28 comments:

  1. Your husband sounds like mine - we'll have to stuff a Soft Pretzel Tot in their mouths the next time they start to yell at the TV.

    These look to-die-for BTW. Very much in "the ballpark" of dream foods for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are genius! I LOVE pretzels, especially pretzel rolls, so these little mini versions look so good..and SO cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you manage to make baking with yeast sound so simple and do-able?! We would love these - particularly my 7-yr old son who not only is a loud and avid sports watcher/enthusiast but is also a serious pretzel lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it took me a bit to get the hang of yeast, but now I love it! The key for me was using good quality, fresh yeast! I bet your son would love these! :)

      Delete
  4. We need to watch basketball together! We can chat and eat pretzel tots while the boys watch the game intently. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to be counted as one among your people, especially if that would mean being treated to game-stoppers (no pun intended) such as these! Delightful looking, indeed! Love ideas like this, thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're definitely one of my people!! Thanks Dan!

      Delete
  6. Oooh, I'll need to make this the next time we watch a big game on TV. I'm usually the one yelling at the tv while my husband tells me to calm down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your husband is just like my brothers...and I am more like you when I watch games...give me lots of good food and people to chat with! haha. These look awesome! Great game-time food :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big basketball fan so I fall in between. I like snacks and I like to talk about uniforms, fans, plays with my husband. My husband just nods or doesn't respond to which I respond "Oh I see, a silent one". Whatever, I'm going to make these pretzel tots and keep them to myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the mini ones are perfect for any party and especially great to make with our little tots..

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look like the perfect snack for watching basketball or any sport! Yum! I love pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
  11. im always looking for things like this while we watch, although I am not a sports person - I love to eat for sure :P

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...